Sunday, November 26, 2006

Week in review: Netflix, movies, telly

You know, I wish Netflix kept the last 5 movies you rented somewhere coz I tend to forget what the hell I've rented. But here's what I remember:

Who Killed the Electric Car?
Well this was a cool doc that I had known about, but admittedly didn't know much about the issues involved. The only electric cars we have in the East are hybrids to my knowledge, so the idea that electric cars were built, were a success, then taken away and destroyed was ridiculous to me. And to the filmmakers as well. Now, the graphics were lame and the editing was much to quick in that in between sentences from different people there were no breaths. It was push slapped together and it got irritating as the movie went along but seemed to slow down a bit the more you were into the movie. Or possibly I got used to it. Hard to say. Also, Martin Sheen as narrator? Meh. And I love Martin Sheen.

Tristan and Isolde.
Ok, ok, I knew this movie was supposed to blow. But I am a COMPLETE SUCKER for period films. Hook, line and sinker sucker. And that's what Netflix is for- guilty pleasures! So yeah, it was not fabulous. The costumes ever weren't that great. ADR was a huge issue in the beginning, but worked itself out. I hate films with shitty ARD (Gilliam?!). So thumbs down on this one. Eh.

Match Point.
I wanted to like this, really I did. But it had the same problem that I had with The Talented Mister Ripley- complete lack of sympathy for the characters. Scarlett Jo was gorgeous as usual, but, uh, yeah, that's it.

RANDOM MOVIES
Grave of the Fireflies.
This is a gut punch of an anime if there ever was one. I've never seen a cartoon that dared to tread on such a serious subject in such a heartbreaking way. It's haunting, it's a bit over the top, but it makes you think twice about what animation can accomplish in the Disney age.

Remains of the Day.
I actually own this but it was on the telly the other night, so I watched it again. This is one of my all time favorite movies. The pure ANGST of the film is mesmerizing. Oh the British and their closeted feelings! Who among us can't identify with Ms. Kenton and Mr. Stephens on some level? Guh. Ishiguro is my hero.

United 93.
I bought this on DVD because it's the one movie that, to me, comes closest to what everyone went through that day, on the ground. That feeling of utter disbelief, shock and reluctant acceptance is so believable in this film, and what makes it more impressive is that there are a ton of non-actors in the film. These are everyday people reliving one of the worst moments in our history. I listened to the director's track and was interested to find out that all the scenarios- on the ground and in the "air" were run in real time takes- ie- one take would go for an hour or so. The situations would run sans interruption and 2 cameras would revolve around hte action. The 2 film cameras were loaded at different times so they could keep reloading the mags and keep rolling. I had wondered how Paul Greengrass managed to capture the immediateness of the moment, so there you go.

IN THE THEATER
The Fountain
All the critics are undecided on Aronofsky- genius or moron? Who cares I say. The Fountain is breathtakingly beautiful and unlike anything seen in theaters this year (that I've seen). My hat is off to him and directors of his ilk (Michel Gondry comes to mind) who toy with the idea of what parts a proper movie should contain and challenge the traditional 3 act story arc. Did I mention the movie was beautiful?

So I'm procrastinating on editing my own documentary. Perhaps I shall do that now... sigh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home