Sunday, August 13, 2006

Maine- the land of cashews and whoopie pies

---not a terribly post related post-----

That about says it all, don't you think? I'm a week away from leaving Maine and it's been nothing short of fantastic. I would stay, if possible. Well, really, it is possible, however, I have Responsibilities in DC, like finishing my degree and starting my new job. Le sigh.

Maine has been nothing short of fantastic, despite my rather procrastinatic being not doing much whilst I was here. Sure I've edited, I've critiqued, I've scheduled. In short, I've fulfilled my job description with a tad more. This resulted in a stress free job environment. However, it's stress free for more than that- I haven't had to worry about finances very much and there have been very few extracurricular stresses. I realize this is unlikely to happen again in my life for some time, so have I embraced it? Yes. I know what I have. I also took the opportunity to sleep in my bed, with it's gloriously soft sheets, and drink much coffee, and shower at noon. On a Wednesday.

Life is good.

That said, I've done a fair amount of travel up and down the Maine coast these past 2 weeks. I've fallen in love with Acadia and would return in a heartbeat. I was mesmerized by Pemaquid. While Damariscotta and Wiscasset were cute and quaint, they don't hold a candle to the natural beauty of Acadia and Pemaquid. Boothbay was boring (despite the fact I found my father's birthday gift there). Do I feel somewhat guilty that I didn't do this travel in June? Sure. Terribly guilty? Uh, not really. Because sleeping is amazing. And sleeping past 9? Truly something to behold.

Along these travels, either by myself or with a good friend of mine, I've discovered that Mainers love cashews and whoopie pies. It's beyond explanation from moi, look to a real Mainer. However, from roughly Bath to Acadia, there are road side stands advertising cashews. WTF? Hey, I like cashews as much as the next person. In fact, one of the dishes I love most in the world is Cashews with Chicken from Neisha Thai. But I'm not sure I would stop at a road side stand and buy them. As for whoopie pies? Emmmm, yeah, they're good, but isn't that like stopping by the side of the road for good chocolate chip cookies? As a baker, I admit there's more to whoopie pies that good brown sugar and chocolate chips, but I can't imagine stopping the car for some.

Well, if I was marooned on Antartica for a year, then maybe, yes, I would.

But anyway. I think the conclusion is, if you want a fun summer, be an editor up in Maine. (Don't be a course manager, because that will suck the life out of you. Post, baby, post.) Don't think twice about it, really. Be a course manager if you want to learn more about specific skills. And be sure to get to Acadia. It's one of the most beautiful places that I've ever seen. In fact, I present now with PICTURE SPAM!

Acadia- Day 1
Acadia- Day 2
Pemaquid

Camden, etc, to come. For now, enjoy. And no, I didn't color correct or Photoshop anything. Look forward to crooked horizon lines ALL OVER THE DAMN PLACE. Pictures taken by moi and another friend. Don't use sans permission, yo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home